If you want to extend your eco-friendly lifestyle to your travel adventures, you can do so rather easily. In fact, after making careful considerations, you may find that there are much better ways to see the world going forward. The course of your actions shape your daily habits so that they align more with your values. That way, when you do travel, it’s in a way that feels good to you.
Real change starts with you. Even if you’re not sure where to begin, know that the first step is the hardest. Once you commit to the challenge of changing your habits, it will become easier with time. Eventually, it’s second nature to choose the greener option whenever you take a trip somewhere.
Some of the ways to make your travel experience eco-friendlier include:
- Purchasing carbon offset credits. Doing so helps you reduce the amount of carbon dioxide you produce while traveling by plane. You’re able to be more responsible with the transportation that you use because a certain amount of money per year is set aside for offsetting your consumption habits. Carbon offset credits can be bought per individual so if you’re traveling with your mate or children, you’ll want to make sure to purchase enough credits to cover everyone.
- Flying on eco-friendly airlines. Get to know the different companies you fly with. Learn which are green and which are not. There are many eco-friendly airlines to choose from these days. Some serve strictly vegetarian or vegan mealswhile others use green materials to create the airplane parts, seats, and even drink carts used in the cabin.
- Staying in accommodations that use alternative energy. Some hotels and resorts run on solar and wind power. They also use energy-saving technology throughout their property. They may use biodegradable toiletries, have composting toilets, and even ask you to reuse your towels twice before requesting new ones. When you opt to stay in an accommodation that puts the planet first, you’re casting a vote for them with your dollars.
- Supporting local businesses. Give your money to the locals that you encounter rather than national chains. You’ll be helping build a thriving community wherever you go. Small businesses rely on tourism to survive. Support local families with your purchases right away. You’ll make a real difference in the lives of the people who count on travelers to buy from them.
- Shopping farmer’s markets and craft fairs. You’ll find incredible goods available in marketplaces. Look at an event calendar to see when the farmer’s marketand craft fair will take place. Then plan to spend the day shopping the many stalls. You’ll find unique items to buy and get to talk to the farmers and artisans that had a hand in growing or creating what you’re purchasing.
Be greener when you travel. The list of tips above help you remember the impact your habits have on the planet. You’ll be able to do good while jet-setting across the globe. You’ll be able to see and experience everything you want to without putting the planet in peril. That’s an incredible feeling of accomplishment that every traveler wants to feel.